Race Day Montreal Cocktail: Canadian Paloma
Jun. 12, 2023
From the Pit Stop with Checo Pérez SeriesSee more
This spin on the classic Patrón Reposado Paloma features grade A maple syrup—a delicious addition to the classic drink and works well to bring one of the most beloved Canadian ingredients to life. This agave-forward cocktail does a great job at marrying Patrón Reposado with fresh citrus flavors and a touch of spice on the rim. It’s the perfect drink to enjoy during your race day watch party. Tchin Tchin!
- 1 Tbsp Himalayan pink salt (or kosher salt – not iodized table salt)
- 1 Tbsp Tajín chili salt
- 1-2 Lime wedges
- 1.5 oz Patrón Reposado Tequila
- .75 oz Fresh lime juice
- .75 oz Fresh grapefruit juice
- .75 oz Maple syrup (1:1)*
- Top with Squirt or Fever Tree Grapefruit Soda, chilled
- ½ Wheel of fresh grapefruit for garnish
- Using a small saucer or plate, combine the salt and Tajín together, set aside.
- Using a fresh lime wedge, sliced across the middle, rub the juice across half of the Collins glass rim, then tip upside down and submerge the rim of the glass into the salt mix (this gives a half salt rim).
- In a shaker, add the tequila, lime, grapefruit and maple syrup (see recipe below). Add the ice, and shake hard for 5-7 seconds.
- Strain using the hawthorn into the salt rimmed Collins glass, filled with ice, and add the chilled grapefruit soda.
- Using a bar spoon, gently stir from the bottom to the top to mix the ingredients.
- Add the grapefruit ½ wheel to the glass, down the side.
*1:1 Maple Syrup – yield 16 oz
10 oz Boiling water
10 oz Grade A maple syrup
- Add both ingredients to a food safe container and stir until dissolved.
- Once cool, add to a bottle, and close the cap.
- Add a date and name label, store in the fridge until use (you can use this right away). The syrup will keep up to 7-10 days refrigerated.