Patrón Tequila FAQS





Additive-free Tequila

  • Patrón uses the highest-quality ingredients and production process to achieve our distinct taste and color. The process starts at the agave field where we select only the best agave with a specifically high sugar content to deliver the exceptionally smooth flavor Patrón is known for. To create our aged expressions, Patrón Silver is aged in our carefully selected barrels where it gains natural flavors like caramel and vanilla as well as its natural color.

    Patrón has an entire portfolio of aged expressions ranging from two months at minimum for Reposado and all the way up to ten years for Extra Añejo 10 Años, our oldest tequila. All of our aged expressions have different colors, flavors and tasting notes all thanks to our variety of barrels. No flavor or color is achieved from additives.

    Learn more about additive-free tequila
  • To cut down on production time, many tequila producers use concentrated additives to add flavor back to correct shortcuts taken during the production process. Examples include:

    • As a sweetening agent in lieu of premium agave
    • As a way to create a more rounded mouth feel
    • As a way to make tequila taste, smell or look as if it’s been aged longer than it truly has

    Additives used in tequila can be difficult to detect when used in a subtle way and are most identifiable when aromas and flavors are very prominent and dominate the drinking experience.

    Because of our unwavering commitment to craft, authenticity, and integrity Patrón has never used additives in our premium tequila.

    Learn more about additive-free tequila
  • To be classified as “tequila” the product has to be made from 100% blue agave and is permitted to have a maximum of 1% of additives. A “mixto tequila” has at least 51% of its volume made from blue agave distillate and the other 49% can be distilled from other non agave sugars (usually sugar cane).

    Learn more about additive-free tequila
  • As of January 2020, the below distilleries, some of which produce multiple tequila brands as designated by their NOM assignment, have been credited as verified additive-free. Patrón is the world's number one super-premium tequila brand to receive the verification.

    • Patrón Tequila (NOM 1492)
    • Tequila Fortaleza (NOM 1493) [2 brands]
    • El Pandillo (G4, Terralta, etc.) (NOM 1579) [6 brands]
    • Vivanco (NOM 1414) [7 brands]
    • Cascahuín (NOM 1123) [4 brands]
    • Tequileña (NOM 1146) [12 brands]
    • Arette (NOM 1109) [1 brand]
    • El Tequileño (NOM 1108) [1 brand]
    • Suave (NOM 1522) [1 brand]
    Learn more about additive-free tequila
  • More sugar and flavor additives naturally will increase the tequila’s overall sweetness. While there is no research to prove that additives are necessarily “bad for you”, at Patrón, we believe the best quality ingredients make for the highest quality tequila and for a simply perfect drinking experience.

    Learn more about additive-free tequila



  • Día de Muertos is a Mexican 3-day celebration of life, where the dead are remembered and honored. Halloween is an ancient tradition from the Celtic region of Europe, where it was believed that on this day, the worlds between the living and the dead blurred and spirits caused disturbances on Earth.

    More about Dia de Muertos